We respectfully request new members adopt the guidelines and teachings as set forth by traditional practice of the Russian-Byzantine method as taught by Vladislav Andrejev. Our method is egg tempera on gessoed boards with the kovcheg. (Practice boards excluded!)
We ask that each member follow the
Divine Rules for the Icon Writer
- Before starting work, make the sign of the Cross, pray in silence, and pardon your enemies
- Work with care on every detail of your icon, as if you were working in front of the Lord Himself
- During work, pray in order to strengthen yourself physically and spiritually; avoid all useless words, and keep silence
- Pray in particular to the Saint whose face you are painting. Keep your mind from distractions, and the Saint will be close to you
- When you choose a color, stretch out your hands interiorly to the Lord and ask His Counsel
- Do not be jealous of your neighbor’s work; their success is your success too
- When your icon is finished, thank God that His Mercy granted you the Grace to paint the Holy Images
- Have your icon blessed by putting it on the Holy Table of your parish church
- Be the first to pray before it before giving it to others
- Never forget the joy of spreading icons throughout the world
- The joy of icon writing
- The joy of giving the Saint the possibility to shine through his/her icon
- The joy of being in union with the Saint whose face you are revealing.
We start at 1:00 pm and end at 6:00 pm unless otherwise noted.
New students to Prosopon are shown how to make the egg emulsion and given paper to begin practice. A list of materials and supplies is handed out for you to purchase. Please bring a notebook to record various aspects of iconography for the beginner and we encourage you to purchase the DVD titled “Archangel Michael for Beginners” available through www.prosoponpractice.com
God Bless and we do look forward to seeing you in the near future!